Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Make No Small Plans

While browsing at Powell's, this quote popped out at me as something I needed to hear:

Make no small plans. Thay have no magic to stir humanity's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work... Remember that our sons and daughters are going to do things that will stagger us. Let your watchword be order and your beacon, beauty. Think big.

- Daniel Burnham (renowned architect of the 19th and 20th Centuries)

This is now a couple days later. The seed of this post lives in my twitterstream as: "A whisper: remain open." While I am being called to focus as plans come together for the fall, I need to remember that this is only the beginning of my discernment process. While it is good to avoid extra bagage, projects, and false requirements; it is also good to leave the mind and heart open to big dreams and possibilities, for those which are too small lack the magic to inspire realization. Yet another tasty tension which calls me one more step forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment