Monday, October 18, 2010

October winds

How could it possibly be two weeks since my last post? October is moving incredibly quickly and my cup, through stable, nearly runneth over. Mostly I've been studying and having lots of meetings. I've been learning lots about lay ministry, the priesthood of the people of God, the evolution of structures in the first few centuries of the church, and several perspectives on homiletics. I've been spending some Saturdays in the library of my college which has been great. There is not a lot of competition on Saturday for space. It feels wide open and quiet in there. I can sit still and work much more effectively than at home even though I virtually live in a library. I'm very happy to be able to connect the Academy to Reed. One other of the twelve academy students is a Reedie which is a pretty high proportion when it comes down to it. I'm hoping that by reconnecting this way and doing my research there will abate the recurrent dreams I've always had about starting senior year over (or somehow getting a second degree there). I've always been disappointed with my performance senior year and have fairly consciously wished for a do over of sorts. In some ways that's what I have now: a new educational endeavor centered in theology like I've always wanted. I considered going to St. Andrews, Scotland for a Bachelor of Divinity three different times including straight out of high school. Course then I'd still be presbyterian, which though an important part of the body of Christ doesn't happen to be the part in which I am called to be. So all is for the best. I remain happily in Portland and find myself re-ensconced in the Reed Library, which incidentally is where I turned in 2003 to find books and give myself a crash course in what it meant to be an Episcopalian. Wheels within wheels as they say.

Autumnal blessings upon you!

1 comment:

  1. It's exactly ten days later and this is still exactly where I am. In fact I'm still ensconced in the same corner downstairs in the Reed Library. All is well. November should be both a bit different and very interesting.

    ReplyDelete