Friday, March 26, 2010

Called back to the desert

Two weeks from now, during the Octave of Easter, I will be back in Albuquerque for the second Emerging Christianity conference hosted by the Center for Action and Contemplation. Though I really enjoyed last years conference, I was not sure that I would return. However as soon as I saw the line up of speakers, I knew that I was called back. And really just as of the last day or so has it felt close enough to picture. Part of that may be due to news I've gathered through Facebook concerning the presentation of concepts and stories from the emerging front to the House of Bishop of the Episcopal Church at their annual retreat. There were a number of speakers brought in for that occasion including three with whom I am particularly familiar: Karen Ward (Church of the Apostles in Seattle), Diana Butler Bass and Phyllis Tickle. Karen is heading up things emerging for her diocese (our neighbors to the north) and seems to be spearheading the Episcopal Village initiative. I was lucky enough to visit her community back in December for a conversation concerning new and traditional monasticism for the 21st century. Truly an amazing ministry and witness. Diana will be speaking at this year's conference in Albuquerque, while Phyllis was a speaker last year. Brian McLaren and Phyllis are advising Episcopal Village as well. All of this truly seems to be combining to make this the "Episcopal Moment" that Brian, Karen, and others are calling it. In Brian's foreword to a document behind (or at least running parallel) to Episcopal Village (www.episcopalvillage.org BTW), he mentions that in this instance, rather than hindering us, our hierarchical structure could help us to become responsive change agents within the wider church. We have recently seen just that sort of possibility take hold within the Rosicrucian Order. I know that it could work here as well. The presentations to the House of Bishops this week will go far towards making that possible. I'm so excited for our new bishop to be on the scene. He is actually going to be consecrated the same weekend I am away and seated at the cathedral (my parish church) on the Octave itself. So many new possibilities are afoot. I entered Lent as a period of discernment with a priest and my abbot to consider next steps for formation and ministry and have been caught up in a wonderful rising tide of possibility.

Onward to Jerusalem! Palm Sunday approaches with its double edged sword of joy and challenge. May we all rise to the kingdom possibilities it raises.

No comments:

Post a Comment