Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Church of Second Chances and Free Will

Thus was named the community created by the cathedral's Youth Affirmation class this year. Over the course of their year together the sixth graders each Pentecost unveil their vision of the church.

None of this is easy and none of this is quick, but it is good and it is real.

I've just returned home after the second brief encounter with an old friend in as many weeks. I'm happy to say that it seems he has had such an experience. it had been a long time since I'd seen him. When we had last spent much time together it was under very different circumstances. I'd known him from my days of drinking and nightclubs. At one point things had become a bit more disorganized that usual for him and he was out on the streets for awhile. I was able to provide some hospitality when he had reached a point of exhaustion and frankly was getting beaten up a bit more than I appreciated. Being closer to street kids and understanding how permeable that line can be is one of the great benefits I received from that time in my life. It is good to remember that Jesus was accused of being a drunkard carousing with tax collectors and prostitutes. That edge is an important place to be. I haven't successfully found my way back after sobering up. Perhaps it is just something to keep in mind as I move forward so that the lines do not harden between myself and my neighbors on the streets.

So perhaps five years later, rather than being on the same bar schedule as my friend, we seem to be on the same grocery shopping schedule. His son is four or five and is beautiful. He and his dad seem well matched right down to their hoodies. If I remember right, when he stayed over at my apartment and slept for about two days straight he was distraught and trying to work things out with his girlfriend. I'm pretty sure it was the beginnings of the pregnancy which led to the little boy I saw this afternoon. I'm sure both my friend and the mother where out of their minds with fear for the future. How could they possibly pull this off given the challenges they were facing? I don't know those particulars, but it looks like they've managed to keep walking that path one step at a time. It seems to me that my friend is a great example of living the benedictine vows whether he's ever heard of them or not. He has proven a stable presence for his son, he has been obedient to the needs of his relationship with the mother, and he has very obviously had a sincere conversion of life. I'm so happy that he has been blessed with a second chance and found reward in family life. Not all of my friends from the street have been so fortunate. My prayers go out to the ones still on the road and to those who have come home. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment